Thursday, February 1, 2007

Relay for Life and Daffodil Days

Yesterday I had a wonderful meeting with Catherine McKenna and Robert Read. The American Cancer Society holds a special place in my heart, and I am thrilled to be involved with this amazing program. I am working with Mrs. McKenna concerning Relay for Life. She wants me to work as a youth advocate and I will be visiting schools in the Ventura County region to speak about cancer prevention and relay participation. Also, I have formed my own team and we are titled the "California Stars". What is great about our team is that it is made of high school students; I think it is key to get the youth involved with the community. What a great opportunity! We are all working really well together and we will all be fundraising. Each member's goal is at least $100, however, my goal is to raise $1,000. Hopefully more! We will be having a car wash, bake sale, garage sale, and also personally asking family and friends for any donations. We will have a great booth set up at the event on May 19 through 20 at Buena High School. It will definitely have a California International pageant theme to it, and I hope to get more girls involved with the pageant by doing this. I am planning on speaking at the event and also attending as many Relays for Life as possible. Our team is thrilled- pray that we succeed with our goals!
Also, I have been working on the Daffodil Days campaign; which sells daffodils to people who want to help with the American Cancer Society. I am planning on selling the daffodils- I've raised $145 so far! I will also go to various companies to propose Daffodil Days with a sales-representative. I will go to the warehouse to sort all of the daffodils, vases, and teddy bears. The best part is that I will have the opportunity to give daffodils to cancer patients at the local hospital; this is a true blessing and I feel honored to be able to have this opportunity.
If you would like to help in some way at all, I would definitely appreciate it! The best part about this title is the numerous opportunities I have to make a difference in society- I feel like I can reach out and help so many more lives with this crown, and for that I am truly grateful.


| View Show | Create Your Own

1 comment:

bek said...

cute blog lauren! Happy Sweet 16th! Hope you had a wonderful day.