Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Ventura Relay for Life

Last weekend was the Ventura Relay for Life. This has been the most exciting, stressful, and anticipated event of my life and it is bittersweet that the event has come and gone. I am so thrilled with the accomplishments of my team and I feel that the youth really has made a fight against cancer. Our team, the California Stars, was one of 70 teams that participated in Relay for Life at Buena High School. We had team t-shirts designed and at least 20 tents to provide for our 120 member team. We stayed the full 24 hours and despite the blazing hot weather, we walked, and walked, and walked some more.
I was excited to host my fifth Relay Pageant, which raised over $250. People always love to watch this event and I had a great time hosting. My friend Alex and I also hosted "The Price is Life" game show to present nutritional health in an entertaining format. It was especially exciting when we won an award for this game show: "Best Mission Moment".
One of my favorite parts of the relay was walking the Survivor's Lap with my mom and having everyone cheer her on. It was such an inspiring moment and I'm so thankful that she was there. It was also meaningful to watch the Luminaria ceremony at night and see my mom's name on the screen. They had bagpipers during this memory lap; it was extremely touching.
In the wee hours of the morning, I had a great time visiting with my friends. Many of my friends are seniors so I am treasuring these last moments with them. In the morning I taught a fun Zumba aerobics and later had a delicious pancake breakfast afterward.
The final event was the Awards Ceremony- which truly made my day. The California Stars worked so hard to raise money and I did everything in my power to raise as much as I could. It was such an extreme honor to win the award of top individual fundraiser; I raised nearly $8,000. The most exciting moment was when my team was announced as the top team- WE RAISED OVER $21,000!!!
I was so thrilled with this; our goal was to raise $20,000 and we actually succeeded that goal! I'm so thankful for a great Relay committee, team, and family. I could not have done it without you all!

Click to play Ventura
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox slideshow

No comments: