Friday, November 20, 2009

UCLA Volunteer Day



What a busy week it has been! It's almost Thanksgiving and I can't wait! Last Saturday was the annual UCLA Volunteer Day and my roommate Sindhuja and I really wanted to participate. We didn't exactly know what the day had in store for us but we were ready! (Or so we thought). It turns out we went to a homeless shelter called Central City on Skid Row. It was quite a shock to the system to put it lightly. I have never seen so many homeless people and it was so sad to see. It was our job to clean up this shelter for Thanksgiving and it was my specific job to clean the refrigerator and kitchen. It smelled pretty bad and there was peanut butter that expired in 2001! Not to mention we saw at least 100 cockroaches. Afterward, the employees gave us a presentation on homelessness. It turns out the average age of homeless person is 9! I couldn't believe that! It was quite a day but we were so glad that we were able to help in some small way. The best part of the day was meeting some of the children and seeing their reactions when they saw how we cleaned up their classrooms. They were so happy! Experiences like this make me all the more grateful for life's blessings. I am so thankful to go to such a beautiful and academic school, have such a wonderful family, and that I feel healthy and happy. I hope that this Thanksgiving brings you many blessings to be thankful for and please keep these children in your prayers!

No comments: