Thursday, March 8, 2007

Relay U School

All day Saturday I attended Relay University- it was a ton of fun! I went with my committee and I was in awe at the tremendous amount of enthusiasm everyone had. We all wanted to be there and make a difference with Relay for Life, and it was encouraging to see so many as passionate to relay as I am.
I went to three different classes. The first one taught us how to recruit people to be on a team or potentially begin a team. The second class focused on how to be an effective team captain and utilize our team for support. Lastly, I went to a class that discussed how to get the youth involved, which especially pertained to me. It was amazing- and I learned so much about how to be an effective leader of my team.
I met of lot of people; many of them being cancer survivors. I was so touched when a girl attending USCB shared her cancer story with everyone. What scared and amazed me at the same time was that she was fifteen when she was diagnosed- that is a few months younger than me! I was so impressed by her and I see her as a role model due to her courage and strength to live on. After she spoke, there was a time for all of the cancer survivors to stand up and walk around the room for a standing ovation. I was in shock of how many people stood up, especially when the college students stood due to their age. I almost cried because it was such an overwhelming experience for me. I feel blessed that I can make a difference and I am proud to know that when they do find a cure for cancer, which they will, I will have helped find that cause.


No comments: