Monday, April 2, 2007

Cheer Banquet

Last Thursday, my family and I attended my cheer banquet. It was a happy night- many memories were shared and it was nice seeing some old friends. Since I go to Foothill, I never got to see the Ventura girls that I cheered with unless at practice or a game- so it was a pleasant reunion. It was a worthwhile experience and I learned so much about myself through the process during cheer.
My mom is a former cougar, so the tradition now lives on in our family. She was always very supportive, along with my dad, and they attended all the basketball and football games. I had a great time learning all the cheers and dance routines- and I especially had fun at cheer camp at UCSB.
Because I have always been a ballet dancer, cheer was challenging for me. I consider myself to have a delicate persona- I'm not typically a loud and outgoing person- or at least, to the extent of a cheerleader. Due to this, I was able to go outside of my comfort zone and grow. I met many new people and I learned how to truly work with a team- which was something new for me.
There were times when I really wanted to quit- especially after I won the pageant. I knew I was going to be so busy from then on, and at that point cheer would take anywhere from two to six hours a day. I felt extremely overwhelmed. Yet, thanks to my mom and myself, I continued and persevered. It felt so wonderful to be at that banquet because I didn't give up on myself or let the team down. I felt proud that I never gave up.
Another really cool thing- at the banquet they give out paper plate awards. They're supposed to be cute and funny- mine definitely was! I was given the "Most Likely to Become the Next Miss USA"! heehee

No comments: