Monday, June 25, 2007

Burbank Relay

This past weekend my mom and I went to the Burbank Relay for Life. It was huge! I guess that it was only their fourth year, but it was amazing! They had so many teams, and each one had a very unique theme. It was a beautiful day and my mom and I thoroughly enjoyed being there. I really wanted to speak, but when we got there, they had a band playing. It can be tricky to coordinate schedules! I have made it a recent goal of mine to work even harder at reaching out to teens especially. If I were to win Miss Teen International, I would like to speak so much more on my platform than I already have. If given the title, I would work on becoming a spokeswoman for Relay for Life. I know that sounds like a crazy dream, but anything is possible! I have been in awe this past year of how many teens, adults, and children that I see at Relay for Life. In fact, 1 out of every 100 Americans participates in the program- that's fabulous! However, I think we can do even better! I feel so blessed to feel so passionately about my platform and I am positive that even after my reign is over, I will still be actively involved with relay.
I must admit, I'm getting pretty nervous about the pageant. I sometimes feel intimated and the whole experience can seem overwhelming at times. Yet I find myself peaceful because I am now drawing closer to God than I ever have before. I can only do my best and I always remind myself that it is in God's hands. If this is His plan for my life, then I will gladly accept it. However, if not, then I must do my best to understand and know that God will always provide. He always does! I'm excited too though, not just nervous and I know that this will be the experience of a lifetime!
Also, I've decided I want to get back into sewing blankets now that it's summer. I used to go to the convalescent hospitals and deliver blankets and I miss it! I also want to go to some children's hospitals and donate blankets to them. My head has been cooking with ideas lately about how I want to help in my community now that school is out. I'm ready to get busier than ever!
Sorry that I went off on tangent- but I couldn't help myself! I love to write!

Burbank Relay
Powered by Smilebox
Click to play | Make your own Smilebox

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Lauren,
Stumbled upon your blog - im the staff partner for the relay for life of burbank - so glad to hear about your enthusiasm for the event and the cause! Would love to talk to you more about how to get you more involved! I'm at danielle.anziano@cancer.org, if you'd like to talk more!

Danielle