Sunday, July 1, 2007

Cerritos Relay

Yesterday I went to two Relays! It was quite the busy day- but it was a blast! And for once, we didn't get lost! :) My mom and I arrived at the Cerritos Relay in about 100 degree weather- but we were ready! Immediately, I could feel the enthusiasm everyone had at this relay and I have never seen so many teens participating in a relay. I got to talk to a lot of them and it was awesome being apart of such a great community event. When we first got there, the teens were all line dancing- so I decided to join in on the fun. Turns out that I'm not the most gifted line dancer- even though I love country music. After my line dancing fiasco, I was ready to speak. I was so glad that I could have the opportunity to reach out to all of those teens and share with them about what they can do to prevent cancer. I shared my personal story, the importance of relay, and what people (teens especially) can do to prevent cancer. This includes: eating a healthy diet, staying physically active, wearing sun protection when outdoors, and avoiding alcohol and smoking. I try to relate to teens by talking about peer pressure and how it can affect their risk for cancer. It was a great Relay- one of my favorites- and I'm so glad that I could talk to so many of my peers about cancer prevention.


Cerritos Relay
Powered by Smilebox
Click to play | Make your own Smilebox

No comments: