Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Wilderness Welcome

I just got back from my amazing adventures with UCLA's Wilderness Welcome. I went on the trip because I wanted to push past my comfort zone and I definitely did that! I'm not used to the rugged wilderness and it was fun experiencing new adventures! I left Wednesday and I got back Sunday.
On Wednesday we had a fun bbq and then did some team building activities together. We had an amazing group- I loved everyone! I feel so lucky to be a Bruin and I'm so glad that I've already made such wonderful friends!
On Thursday we went on the UCLA outdoor ropes course and did the Leap of Faith. I climbed a 30 foot pole and then had to try to stand on top. I then had to jump out to the trapeze- which I unfortunately missed. This was a great team builder- we were all belaying each other so that we knew we could trust each other. We then went on a six hour drive to the Eastern Sierras in Inyo National Park where we were at 10,000 elevation. We went on a beautiful stroll through a meadow and we later to went to a natural hot spring- that was so exciting! There were about 20 Germans there- that was interesting. We slept under the stars in 30 degree weather- I was freezing! When I woke in the morning- there were icicles on my swimsuit!
On Friday we went on a six hour hike and we climbed to an elevation of 12,000 feet! I was so proud that we did it! It was so much fun eating our lunches out in the snow! We also did the 8-clap UCLA cheer and filmed it- what a great memory. As we climbed down we relaxed at a beautiful stream and we got our feet wet- so cold! We later had a campfire together with delicious smores! We had so many laughs that night and throughout the trip...
On Saturday we went kayaking and I got so frustrated! My partner Lucy and I ended up with a broken kayak if that's possible. But on the way back I was in a good kayak so that was a much more pleasant experience. We went back to the hot springs that night and saw the most gorgeous guy ever! (Hope Evan doesn't mind me saying that- but he was straight out of Calvin Klein!) It was pretty funny...
We had such a blast throughout the trip- I'll miss all the friends. I'm so glad that I went on the Wildness Welcome Trip!

Click to play this Smilebox slideshow: Wilderness Welcome
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox slideshow

No comments: