Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Dance Marathon

Dance Marathon was last weekend (as was my 19th birthday!) and I had the best time! I admit that I had been pretty nervous about it all last week because I knew that it would be a challenging feat. You're supposed to dance for 26 hours straight- no sitting, not even to pee! (I may have cheated on that part!) Anyway- so many of my sisters in Chi Omega participated in the event and I loved getting to bond with them. Also, I love dancing so this was the perfect thing to do on my birthday! I was so proud to see so many Chi Omegas on the committee spearheading the event- it was a huge success. UCLA raised over $407,000 for pediatric HIV/AIDS. The money we raise goes toward vaccines that help prevent the mother from passing on the disease to her child during childbirth and the money also goes toward paying for camp tuition for children that are affected by this terrible disease. Many of these children were at the event dancing with us and I loved hearing them share their touching stories. Every dancer at the event was required to raise $208 (each vaccine is $8 so $8 for every hour of 26 hours makes $208). I lasted for eight hours and I would have stayed longer except that it was my birthday and my parents took me out to P.F. Chang's for dinner. But the music, the friends, the cause, the fun- it was the perfect day. I'm so blessed to go to UCLA where people are committed to being the change they wish to see in the world!

Click to play this Smilebox slideshow: Dance Marathon
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox slideshow

No comments: